USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey. (Cost is $46 plus any affiliate fees if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Complete the background screening. (Found on your affiliate website and some affiliates require approval before you can be added to a roster).
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training. (Required every two years and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information.
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. (Cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed) Click here to register for the modules.
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. (Cost is $45 plus any lunch fees if applicable) You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. (The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from September 1 to December 31). Click here to locate a clinic.