USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey. (Cost is $46 plus any affiliate fees if applicable). Click here for more information.
- Complete the background screening. Click here.
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training. (Required every year and cannot be added to a roster until completed). Click here for more information. (Coaches will need to create/log in to their profiles, click the link under the home tab to the coach eLearning site.)
- Complete the Foundations of Player Development Pre-requisite. (Coaches will need to complete the Foundations of Player Development module before purchasing their age-specific module. Once a coach completes the Foundations of Player Development module there will be a 15-minute window before they can purchase and complete their age-specific module).
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. (Cost is $15 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed) Click here to register for the modules.
Coaching Education Program Certification Clinic Requirements (Must be completed by Dec. 31 each season)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. The Cost is $55. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. You can take clinics from April 1-Dec. 31 each season. Click here to locate a clinic.