Job Title: Associate Counsel
Reports To: General Counsel
Basic Function: The USA Hockey Associate Counsel will support the USA Hockey General Counsel in handling legal matters on behalf of USA Hockey.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with General Counsel to provide legal advice to USA Hockey and related entities, and staff and volunteers, on a wide range of topics.
- Help manage the day- to-day legal activities of USA Hockey, including guidance to staff and volunteers on proper procedures and responses to USA Hockey membership.
- Support day-to-day operation of SafeSport program, including providing legal advice on the handling of reported incidents.
- Assist various USA Hockey departments in identifying potential risk issues and legal exposure to navigate a proper and efficient outcome.
- Draft and/or review agreements and contracts executed by USA Hockey, including corporate sponsorship agreements, event hosting contracts, hotel and facility rental agreements, vendor service agreements, etc., as directed by General Counsel.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key USA Hockey and affiliate officers and volunteers.
- Facilitate dispute resolution with affiliate organizations, local programs and members.
- Work with volunteer members of the USA Hockey Legal Council and its chairperson.
- Work with USA Hockey’s outside legal counsel on matters as appropriate.
- Possess extensive knowledge of USA Hockey bylaws, rules & regulations, the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act and requirements of the United States Olympic Committee and U.S. Center for SafeSport, and work in conjunction with the General Counsel and other USA Hockey staff and volunteers to ensure consistent application and interpretation of all such governing documents.
- Participate in key business and policy decisions.
- Remain up to date on non-profit legal requirements to ensure USA Hockey is operating accordingly.
- Work with USA Hockey consultant in the areas of risk management and membership insurance to understand these functions and the role within USA Hockey.
- Assist Director of Human Resources in negotiation of employee benefits.
- Foster a culture that encourages teamwork, open and constructive communication and a positive working environment.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and dedication in fulfillment of commitments.
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited four-year U.S. college or university
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Eligible to practice law in state of Colorado as a member of the bar or eligible to become licensed in Colorado.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the practice of law in a multi-practice or full-service law firm, or in substantive legal role at a sports or membership-based organization.
- Demonstrated experience in managing contracts and negotiations.
- Proven success in advising clients.
- Experience in a non-profit setting preferred, but not required.
- Experience with a sport’s governing body or other sports organization preferred, but not required.
- Skill in problem solving and conflict resolution
- Excellent correspondence and legal writing ability with highest attention to detail
- Strong leadership and management skills, high personal ethical standards, and demonstrated capability to be hands-on and make difficult, but timely decisions.
- Strategic thinking and excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information to executives.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to gain buy-in across multiple disciplines and drive execution.
- Ability to effectively navigate ambiguous situations and highly complex environments.
- Ability to work independently, but comfortable working in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and tight deadlines with accuracy.
- High level of computer proficiency.
Tools, Equipment & Conditions:
- Standard office equipment
- Office in a multi-level building
- Ability to travel as required
Salary: Commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position with an excellent benefit package.
Availability: Position to begin in first quarter of 2019 at USA Hockey's national headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Application Procedure: To apply, email a letter of application, and current resume, to the Director of Human Resources, Kara Deschenes, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.